Welcome to the Freezer Gourmet! Our mission is to help you organize your feeding schedule--and to solve that 5pm question: What's for dinner? Join us as we work our way through the ins and outs of cooking from your freezer--and filling your freezer as well!

Black Bean Brownies




I have all these luscious beans in my freezer, and I am looking for some new ways to cook them. While I am still an omnivore, I am working on becoming a 3/4 time vegetarian. :)

So, the brownies. I am also looking for some healthy recipes to start sticking in lunch boxes, and brownies fit the bill. This recipe comes courtesy of The Happy Herbivore:


Makes 9 squares

Ingredients:
15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 bananas
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup quick/instant oats

a few drops mint extract *optional
1/4 cup raw sugar **optional
chocolate chips *optional
chopped walnuts *optional

** if you’re bananas are really ripe (browning) you probably won’t need the extra sugar; I suggest making the batter without it, then taste testing it to see if you need to add more sugar.

Directions:
1. Preheat 350F
2. Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender
3. Blend until smooth, scraping sides as needed
4. Stir in the oats
5. Pour into a greased 8×8 in pan
6. Bake approx 30 minutes, toothpick test
7. Allow to completely cool before slicing

** if you find these brownies are too soft or too fudgy, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour

I will be freezing these so I can pull them out and put them in lunches. I have to freeze them or they won't last for lunches. So there you go. A recipe that uses beans from the freezer, and then gets stored in the freezer!

*Update - these brownies have a very marked banana taste. They weren't as fudgy as I was expecting, and I am a bit disappointed. However, the kiddo loves the banana taste and is thrilled that they will be in his lunch box. I will start experimenting with more recipes and when I come across an excellent one, I will share.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 Whitney Donohue