Welcome to the Freezer Gourmet! Our mission is to help you organize your feeding schedule--and to solve that 5pm question: What's for dinner? Join us as we work our way through the ins and outs of cooking from your freezer--and filling your freezer as well!

Tomato Zucchini Sauce




In my quest for a healthier lifestyle, I am moving more towards a vegetarian diet. That doesn't mean I won't share my tried-and-true meat recipes; I still will. Just, most likely my new recipes will be more on the vegetarian side.

This is a wonderful sauce that utilizes summer's bounty. Here in Southern Nevada, we are still in the middle of an extremely hot summer. Our local nurseries are starting to sell plants that elsewhere are spring plants, such as tomatoes, peppers, peas, cole veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage). It is exciting to me to start gardening again, and the thought of fresh veggies is thrilling. I also live a mere two hours away from a much cooler climate (Cedar City, UT--where my daughter happens to live) with a great farmer's market. When I visit my daughter, I can buy some terrific veggies to "put up" for the winter.

Tomato Zucchini Sauce
a great pasta sauce - makes about 2 1/2 cups

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 3/4 cup chopped onions
  • 1 small sweet red or green pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 clove garlic, pressed
  • 2 cups crushed tomatoes
  • 1/2 tsp crumbled rosemary
  • 1 tsp fresh marjoram
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 tbsp chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup water or vegetable stock
  • 3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1. In a medium stainless steel or enamel saucepan, heat the oil and butter. Add the onions, peppers, carrots, and celery. Saute for 5-8 minutes until soft.

2. Add the tomatoes, rosemary, marjoram, bay leaf, parsley, and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.

3. Stir in the zucchini. Cook, covered, for 5 - 7 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.

To freeze: Prepare the recipe as directed. Remove the bay leaf, then cool and ladle the sauce into freezer containers, leaving 1/2" headspace, and freeze.

To serve, partially thaw the frozen sauce in the refrigerator. Put in a saucepan, cover, and warm over low heat until heated through, stirring occasionally.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 Whitney Donohue