Welcome to the Freezer Gourmet! Our mission is to help you organize your feeding schedule--and to solve that 5pm question: What's for dinner? Join us as we work our way through the ins and outs of cooking from your freezer--and filling your freezer as well!

Freezing Zucchini




I often wondered if you could freeze zucchini, because I never saw it in my local store's freezer section. But it turns out that you can. And the reason I never saw it is because my local store is small, small, small...and they apparently only sell mainstream veggies (whatever those are!). So, if you have an over abundance of zucchini--go ahead and freeze it! Susan over at Farmgirl Fare has a great post on how to freeze zucchini. Almost everything I've read suggests that you must blanch it first.

Here's how:
Slice the zucchini. Blanch in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove zucchini from boiling water and put into a bowl of ice water. This stops the cooking process. Pat dry, package in ziploc bags (or plastic containers), and freeze.

I've also read in several places that you do not need to blanch grated zucchini, and from my own experience--this is true. Grate and place in freezer bags or containers. You can use the grated zucchini in baking recipes, or this recipe: Zucchini Parmesan Rice. Yum!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 Whitney Donohue