This recipe is great when you have a ton of zucchini in the garden. It can be frozen already cooked, or you can use frozen shredded zucchini straight from the freezer.
And it's good. Really good. You could even say great. Yum.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 4 cups grated zucchini (approx. 5 medium)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups mil
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups Parmesan Cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Spray a 13x9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring until the onion is translucent. Add the zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the liquid from the zucchini has evaporated--about 5 minutes. Pour the milk into the skillet and bring to a boil.
3. Transfer the mixture to the baking pan and stir in the rice. Sprinkle the top with the Parmesan. Bake until the cheese is bubbly and the rice is tender, 35 - 40 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and serve.
Note--if you are freezing this, cool casserole completely. Cover and freeze. To use, thaw completely in refrigerator. Cover with foil and place in a preheated 350° oven until heated and bubbly, about 20 minutes.