Welcome to the Freezer Gourmet! Our mission is to help you organize your feeding schedule--and to solve that 5pm question: What's for dinner? Join us as we work our way through the ins and outs of cooking from your freezer--and filling your freezer as well!

Beans--Yep, they are gourmet!




Yesterday I cooked 2 pounds of white beans in the crockpot so that I would have beans in the freezer ready for meals. It costs so much less then buying cans, plus I control what is in them!

Ingredients
  • dry beans of your choice (I used white--and I will do black tomorrow)
  • water
Directions
1. Pour the beans into a colander and rinse. Pick out any beans that are broken or that look shriveled and yucky.

2. Pour in crockpot and cover with at least an inch of water.

3. Soak overnight. In the morning, drain the beans and rinse well.

4. Dump back into your rinsed out crockpot and cover.

5. Add enough water to cover the beans plus an extra inch of water. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

6. Cool and separate into sandwich bags--1 to 1 1/4 cups equals about 1 can. Make sure you squeeze the air out. Place sandwich bags flat in the freezer and flash freeze. Once they are frozen, store the beans in a gallon ziploc freezer bag. Use when needed.
That's it! So easy, and you have just saved so much money. My 2 lb bag of beans cost $2.89. I got 12 bags of cooked beans. At a cost of $.99 per can, I saved $8.99. And I have a lot of room in my pantry because I don't have all those cans!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2009 Whitney Donohue